Homebrew Website - 2015 Edition

      Filed under: Articles   

I accidentally made a New Year’s resolution for 2015. Or possibly it was for 2014, since I resolved to finish it by Jan 1, 2015. A few weeks ago, I stopped in at the #IndieWeb Homebrew Website Club meetup in SF. Tantek Çelik asked for personal site ship commitments, and I thought this was as good a time as any to get my personal site at aribadernatal.com up-to-date. It’s been about 15 years since I put the framework in place, so it’s due for a refresh… Fast-forward two weeks, and while I don’t feel done yet, I’m happy to say that I did ship it.

A few highlights:

  • I put together project pages for each of a dozen different software projects that I’ve worked on over the past 15 years. (Some are still stubs, but I’ll fill them out over time.)
  • The site now contains all of my blog posts (from 4 different blogs!) in one place.
  • The site now includes a searchable index of all my Tweets from 2010-2014
  • It’s 2015, so it is (still) a static website. now written in Markdown, generated with Jekyll, and served by Amazon’s CloudFront CDN.
  • It’s 2015, so I finally removed all the embarrassing <table>-based formatting, and replaced it with a mobile-friendly responsive design, thanks to a lovely Jekyll theme called Brume.
  • Finally, the site is now https everywhere! (One great tip that I got from Brett Slatkin is that StartSSL offers free SSL certs for non-commercial use.)

Over time, I plan to migrate more of my work to the site. Thanks again to Tantek and the Homebrew Website Club meetup for the push!



Ari wrote on January 1, 2015
Sorry, comments are currently disabled.